[Histonet] volunteer opportunity

Havice, Rebecca BHAVICE <@t> lewistownhospital.org
Mon Apr 16 10:41:26 CDT 2012

		My name is Becky Havice and I am a registered Cytotechnologist as well as a registered Histotechnician.   I just returned from a week of volunteering at the CerviCusco clinic in Cusco Peru.   I signed on to work as a Cytotechnologist, but found they had a great need for a histotech, so I spent the week in the "histology department".  CerviCusco clinic is run by the International Cervical Cancer (INCCA) foundation's humanitarian program in Peru.  INCCA's goal is to reduce the high incidence of cervical cancer in the Andes Mountains region of Peru.  They also provide other women's healthcare services.  In just 5 years, INCCA has provided medical services for more than 15,000 indigent women. More than 200 volunteers representing 7 countries have participated.  Currently, volunteer pathologists, cytotechnologists and family members volunteer at the clinic 4 times a year.  After this past week, it is apparent they are also in need of volunteer histotechs.  This past week was a very rewarding experience for me.  I was  able to use my abilities as a histotech in a histology environment that was very basic, but also very much needed.  If you would be interested in volunteering your services or would just like more information on the CerviCusco clinic, please contact:  Barbara Winkler, MD  Medical Director of Pathology, Mount Kisco Medical Group  Phone 914-302-8322 bwinkler <@t> mkmg.com
		Your help would be greatly appreciated.