[Histonet] elastic stain

Kalleberg, Kristopher Kristopher.Kalleberg <@t> unilever.com
Mon Apr 9 13:25:18 CDT 2012

All,

I have used a new Verhoeff-Van Gieson stain kit (from BBC) for elastic
fibers and have run a large number of slides.  I am noticing differences
in the staining intensities throughout the samples.  I see that there
are darker sites and lighter sites within the same panelists.  This is
not due to a treatment effect because these intensity differences are
seen in the controls also.  I am fairly confident that our tech has
sectioned all the samples at 5um and has stained the slides with all the
same timings.  Does anyone have an explanation as to why this is
occurring?  The staining intensity differences are mainly in the
epidermis but if that is staining darker/lighter my concern is that the
elastic fibers in the dermis are doing the same and will skew the
results when they are quantified with a spectral camera.  Any help will
be greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

Kristopher L. Kalleberg

Research Scientist

Unilever R&D

40 Merritt Blvd.