[Histonet] Re: Let's talk forceps

Bob Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 13:08:37 CDT 2012

Arrrgh! Tweezers. Pickups.

Grumpy old doc notes that in his day (1960s) the word "forceps" meant
obstetrical forceps and nothing else.

I was taught how to apply forceps, though medical students weren't
actually allowed to. My eldest daughter was delivered by the
"Professor of Forceps" (a much beloved practicing obstetrician with
ideas far ahead of his time) to a crowd of admiring medical students,
with an axis traction bar forceps (don't ask!) in the greatest feat of
obstetrical grandstanding I ever witnessed.

I'm quite sure that nobody misses obstetrical forceps! The VBAC came
into use not long after I graduated.

Thanks for the tip about the ergonomic, uh, tweezers. Filed for future
reference.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN