[Histonet] Aetna requiring CAP accreditation for non-hospital labs

Pratt, Caroline Caroline.Pratt <@t> uphs.upenn.edu
Thu Apr 5 15:04:57 CDT 2012

Actually, I called the contact person on the letter and received a call
back within 24 hours.  I asked her if TJC and COLA would be acceptable
in lieu of CAP and she is going to get an answer to me by next week.  I
am hoping the goal of this is simply to ensure and support high quality
patient care, but I agree that the letter should not read as an
advertisement for "preferred laboratories".

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Carol
Torrence
Sent: Thursday, April 05, 2012 3:17 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Aetna requiring CAP accreditation for non-hospital
labs

We have received notification from AETNA that they now require
non-hospital
labs to be accredited by CLIA and CAP.  The letter makes it obvious that
by
making such a request that they are not aware that CLIA assigned deemed
status to CAP and CLIA is actually the gatekeeper.  Secondly we are told
be registered by May 1st and accredited by August 1st (which CAP says is
impossible) or we will have to send our lab to either Quest or Ameripath
which includes Dermpath Diagnostics division.  It fails to mention that
there are other CAP accredited non hospital labs in our state.  The
Aetna
contact number is either 'mailbox full" or even after leaving a message,
no
return call.  Me thinks me smells a rat.

If you are a non-hospital lab, have you heard of this?  Does your
dematopathologist or pathologist know this is coming?  I am interested
in
your comments.

Carol M. Torrence, HT(ASCP)CM