[Histonet] Aetna requiring CAP accreditation for non-hospital labs

Carol Torrence ctorrence <@t> kmcpa.com
Thu Apr 5 14:16:56 CDT 2012

We have received notification from AETNA that they now require non-hospital
labs to be accredited by CLIA and CAP.  The letter makes it obvious that by
making such a request that they are not aware that CLIA assigned deemed
status to CAP and CLIA is actually the gatekeeper.  Secondly we are told to
be registered by May 1st and accredited by August 1st (which CAP says is
impossible) or we will have to send our lab to either Quest or Ameripath
which includes Dermpath Diagnostics division.  It fails to mention that
there are other CAP accredited non hospital labs in our state.  The Aetna
contact number is either 'mailbox full" or even after leaving a message, no
return call.  Me thinks me smells a rat.

If you are a non-hospital lab, have you heard of this?  Does your
dematopathologist or pathologist know this is coming?  I am interested in
your comments.

Carol M. Torrence, HT(ASCP)CM