[Histonet] Re: Massons Trichrome on decalcified bone

Sara Landschoot sllandsc <@t> gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 08:20:20 CDT 2012

Hi Gayle,

Thanks so much for your response on Histonet. I have been getting several
different answers that I have been trying to test.

I can give you more details on how we decal our bone here. We deal with
entire sheep or primate spines which are grossed while frozen into slabs.
The slabs are about 5-6mm thick. We take an initial xray to get a starting
point then we decal the slabs in EDTA (after formalin fixation). Xrays are
taken throughout the decal process to check for the endpoint.

As for post fixing in Bouins, I was using the water bath method (60
degrees) for about an hour.

If you don't mind sending me the AFIP methods so I can try then out on my
sections I would greatly appreciate it. My email is sllandsc <@t> gmail.com.

Again thank you for your help and I look forward to hearing from you.

 Sara Landschoot