AW: [Histonet] Masson's Trichrome for Bone

Gudrun Lang gu.lang <@t> gmx.at
Wed Apr 4 02:31:15 CDT 2012

Perhaps I am wrong.
But doesn't the trichrome differentiate between mature and fresh bone
tissue? Old one - red; new one - blue (or green) Depending on the amount of
collagen.
Gudrun

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] Im Auftrag von Sara
Landschoot
Gesendet: Dienstag, 03. April 2012 21:34
An: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Betreff: [Histonet] Masson's Trichrome for Bone

Hi!

I work at an Orthopaedic research lab and I have been having some trouble
getting our trichromes to work on our bone. I have tried a masson's, gomori,
and goldner's and in all cases the bone stained red.

Our bone is arrive to our lab frozen, we fix them in formalin, embed in
paraffin, and decal with EDTA. I also post fix with Bouins before staining.

Techs that worked in this lab before me were also getting the same red
staining of bone.

Is there something during processing that could cause this reaction? We fix
in formalin, dehydrate through graded alcohols, and clear in xylene.

Thanks,
Sara