[Histonet] Clearium mounting medium: please note!

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Wed Sep 28 10:05:32 CDT 2011

Today there was a posting regarding Clearium (from Leica Micro-systems) where it was said that it allows going directly from iso-propyl alcohol to coverslippin, avoiding the use of xylene.

I did not know that so I found the MSDS for Clearium that reads:

"Main hazards: highly flammable. Irritating to respiratory system and skin. May cause sensitization by skin contact.
Harmful: danger of serious damage to health by prolonged exposure through inhalation. May cause harm to the unborn child. Possible risk of impaired fertility. Vapours may cause drowsiness and dizziness".

It seems that in this specific case it can be applied the saying of "Better deal with the devil you know (xylene) than with the one you don't (Clearium)"

Clearium is composed of TOLUENE (10-30%) + METHYL METRACRYLATE (50-70%) + DIBUTYL PHTHALATE (1-10%).

My recommendation to anybody trying to use a new product only known through a "sales pitch" to check the MSDS.

It seeems that Clearium is not that better than xylene after all even when you can mount directly from 2-propanol eliminating a "dangerous" spet with xylene!
René J.