[Histonet] RE: Xylene sensitivity

D'Attilio, Shelley SDattili <@t> stormontvail.org
Tue Sep 27 16:02:39 CDT 2011

Hi Tom,
Yes, our Employee Health & Safety department is involved with this problem.  Our lab is negative pressure, but do not know the air exchange rate.  I will definitely ask that to be checked.

We monitor employees annually and had a full environmental assessment 2-3 years ago prior to installation of a new air handling system for the histology lab.

The coverslipper and stainer are not in a hood.  The Leica H&E Auto Stainer is under two large "air suckers" that are installed in the walls (along with our Peloris and two old Shandon tissue processors), and the coverslipper is on a bench.  Manual coverslipping is rarely performed, but we do have a standard chemical/bio hood for that if required.

A broken belt was discovered on the air handling system yesterday and was repaired.  Hopefully this will help a little bit.

Regards,
Shelley

NEED A DOCTOR?  Stormont-Vail's Health Connections can help you find a doctor accepting new patients.  Call (785) 354-5225.

The information transmitted in this e-mail and in any replies and forwards are for the sole use of the above individual(s) or entities and may contain proprietary, privileged and/or highly confidential information.  Any unauthorized dissemination, review, distribution or copying of these communications is strictly prohibited.  If this e-mail has been transmitted to you in error, please notify and return the original message to the sender immediately at the above listed address.  Thank you for your cooperation.