[Histonet] Xylene sensitivity

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Tue Sep 27 10:44:35 CDT 2011

Glen:
I respectfully disagree. Do you have any idea what would mean to that employee to try to get another job NOW?
Changing the procedure is what we (as histotechnique refers to) have been doing for ever.
Perhaps you do not remember other methods, but I do because I started working in this field in 1952.
Back then I processed tissues manually and used aniline oil to "clear", benzene  as ante medium and was very glad when I switched to white gasoline and later to xylene.
Do you know why xylene became so prevalent? Because in 1943 the AutioTechnicon was developed and they recommended xylene as the way to go.
That selection also was the choice of the VIP manufacturers, and we all started to change from the toxic benzene and aniline oil to the toxic xylene.
There are other ways of doing things and changing work or exposing to toxic chemicals is not the correct path, no matter how much we are "used to".
René J.

--- On Tue, 9/27/11, Glen Dawson <ihcman2010 <@t> hotmail.com> wrote:

From: Glen Dawson <ihcman2010 <@t> hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Xylene sensitivity
To: sdattili <@t> stormontvail.org, histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Date: Tuesday, September 27, 2011, 11:11 AM

Shelley,

Perhaps this employee should look into other job opportunities.  The histo lab is filled with chemicals that can cause sensitivity in those people who may be prone to that.  Unfortunately, some of the main players in the histo lab (xylene & formalin) are often the culprit, but they are the best products in terms of how well they work, how universally they are used, how well their characteristics are known, etc...  I hate to sound like I'm not sympathetic, because I truly am, but I think it is a mistake to modify a histology lab's procedures to accomodate a new employee.

Just my opinion,

Glen Dawson  BS, HT(ASCP) & QIHC
Milwaukee, WI