[Histonet] Lagal cases SOP

mtitford <@t> aol.com mtitford <@t> aol.com
Wed Sep 21 15:20:28 CDT 2011

Ann Angelo asks about releasing tissues in legal cases.

I guess how you do it depends on your state and its laws, and what your own facility lawyers require.

At our facility in the State of Alabama, to release tissues and/or medical records we require either a release signed by the patient, a subpoena, or a court order.  If the patient has passed away, and the next of kin is making the request, we need documentsation they are legally the first next of kin.

THEN, we let the lawyer in our risk management department check it over. After she has blessed it, we can release the material.

A lot of requests are made by firms who go round vacuuming up every item they can for other law firms.

We do not release blocks, or original slides, but can release recuts.

Hope this helps.

Michael Titford
USA Pathology
Mobile AL USA