SV: [Histonet] How to store paraffin blocks ?

Erikstad, Gudrun Hovstein Gudrun.Erikstad <@t> stolav.no
Tue Sep 20 01:55:28 CDT 2011

 Hi,

We store paraffin blocks and stained slides at room temperature in rooms without windows, so there is no sunlight.
We store blocks and slides "forever". We have paraffin blocks from before 1930.
"Room temperature" in Norway is usually about 20 degrees Celcius.

Some stained slides will fade with time (silver techniques, immuno), but the routine HE usually last for many, many years.
After we excanged Xylene with a substitute (Tissue-Clear) four years ago, we had some "bleeding" and fading of the HE-stains, but after taking more care changing the Xylene substitute in the clearing step more often this is no more a problem.
The paraffin blocks keep very well. We frequently do section and stain as well as do molecular techniques (PCR, In situ) on material from the 1970'ies and before, and it's remarkable how well the formalin fixed, paraffin embedded tissue keep.

I would not keep the blocks in a fridge, as you say, the humidity in the fridge is quite high.
The time to cool a block from room temperature to suitable for sectioning is only about two minutes.
Now, because Norway has a relatively cold climate, the air humidity is also quite low compared to warmer climates, even if it rains here ALL the time... ;-)
Heat and high humidity might affect your blocks.

Gudrun H. Erikstad, Trondheim, Norway