[Histonet] Re: Bouin's without picric acid

Bob Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 13:53:14 CDT 2011

Davidson's fixative is made of three parts of tap water, three parts
alcohol (you can use waste processing alcohol), two parts 37% formalin
(not neutral buffered formalin) and one part glacial acetic acid.

I have references if anyone wants them - they're pretty obscure.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN
Tyrone -
I have been working with fish (whole and pieces and parts) for years.  The
fixative of choice  for whole fish as been Davidson's.  It contains
formalin, alcohol, acetic acid and water.

Cheryl Crowder, BA, HTL(ASCP)
Crowder Histology Consulting
4952 Alvin Dark Ave.
Baton Rouge, LA  70820