[Histonet] Re: Bouin's without the picric acid?

Tyrone Genade tgenade <@t> gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 07:55:30 CDT 2011

Thanks for all the replies.

Some alternatives or Bouin's substitutes have been suggested. Whether
they are OK with Bielschowsky’s and Gallyas Silver Staining and the
like remains to be determined. Whatever fixative I end up using must
be also OK with Thiolfavin-S & T, FluoroJadeB and
immunohistochemistry/fluorescence. My problem with PFA is that it can
destroy some epitoptes and some of my antibodies are directed against
sensitive epiptopes (glycoproteins).

I need an alternative fixative which isn't going to cause trouble for
a broaf range of staining techniques.

I have, with my whole mounts brains, used PFA for a 10 minute fix and
then 10 minute MeOH postfix without problems but 10 minutes is very
different to overnight..

Thanks for the advice. (John Kiernan, if you still out there, I would
love to hear from you!)
--
Tyrone Genade
http://tgenade.freeshell.org