[Histonet] Bouin's without picric acid

Cheryl Crowder ccrowder <@t> vetmed.lsu.edu
Wed Sep 14 12:14:27 CDT 2011

Tyrone -
I have been working with fish (whole and pieces and parts) for years.  The
fixative of choice  for whole fish as been Davidson's.  It contains
formalin, alcohol, acetic acid and water.  After the whole fish is opened,
the acetic acid begins to soften the harder tissues  while the formalin
fixes the  rest.  Since there is alcohol, the tissues are then placed in 70%
alcohol and processed.   The length of time for fixation depends on the size
of the fish of course.  You'll just have to find the times.  Many of the
small fish (fingerlings) have been  ready in 24 hours.  But many of the fish
we get have been fixed for a week or more and results are really good.
Contact me personally if you need more information.
Cheryl

Cheryl Crowder, BA, HTL(ASCP)
Crowder Histology Consulting
4952 Alvin Dark Ave.