[Histonet] Bouin's without the picric acid?

Geoff McAuliffe mcauliff <@t> umdnj.edu
Wed Sep 14 09:25:26 CDT 2011

Hi Tyrone:

Picric acid may be bad for some silver stains but not for all. Williams
fix is recommended for the Bodain method and I have used it with
excellent results on mouse brain.
Also overnight immersion fixation of a whole fish - you did not say how
large- is not going to give good results. The 3 components of Bouin all
penetrate and fix at different rates.
I would fix for a week, room temp. with the head cut off and maybe the
mandible removed to allow better penetration.
Bouin without picric acid is just an alcoholic formalin but if you want
to avoid formalin (PFA) then how about an acid alchohol fix, 70 or 80
percent EtOH with 5% acetic acid?

Geoff

--
--