[Histonet] RE: AFIP Closing

O'Donnell, Bill billodonnell <@t> catholichealth.net
Mon Sep 12 15:29:49 CDT 2011

Tom, That's great. I had never heard that one. - Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Podawiltz, Thomas
Sent: Monday, September 12, 2011 12:32 PM
To: Parker, Helayne; 'histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu'
Subject: [Histonet] RE: AFIP Closing

While I was in the Navy 77-83, I spent a week at AFIP for special stain
course they had. I got to meet Lee Luna, but did not get to spend a lot
of time with the man. However, my most memorable trip to AFIP was when I
was stationed at the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, Maryland
(the old center).
I was sent to AFIP with a box of specimens to deliver to one of the labs
and my duty driver got lost. I had read the manifest of the contents and
when the driver asked me if I had any idea of where were, I said "No"
and then followed up with this statement. "You mean to tell me that we
have five brains in this car and we can't figure out where we are?" Yep,
I was delivering three brains from an air crash accident for study. My
duty driver could not wait to get rid of the box.

Tom Podawiltz HT (ASCP)
Histology Section Head/Laboratory Safety Officer.
LRGHealthcare
Laconia, NH 03246
603-524-3211 ext: 3220

Tom