[Histonet] RE: Microm 355S

John Shelley jshelley <@t> sanfordburnham.org
Mon Sep 12 14:58:30 CDT 2011

Hi Erin,

I have experienced exactly what you described. I have had it chunk a block a few times but also have come to the unit after cutting and the holder has advanced all the way to its end point. Very disturbing, but I worked around that by hitting the stop button when I am done so that does not happen and in regards to the advancing with a block I just take my time and I find when I hit the button on the side that is used for forward or backward advancement it appears to correct the problem. This is why I much prefer Leica brand microtomes but this was here before I started. Good Luck!!!

Kind Regards!

John J Shelley
Senior Research Associate, Histology Core Facility
Sanford-Burnham Medical Research Institute at Lake Nona
6400 Sanger Road
Orlando, FL 32827
Tel: (407) 745-2000 Ext.2517
Fax: (407) 745-2001
email:  jshelley <@t> sanfordburnham.org

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Martin, Erin
Sent: Monday, September 12, 2011 10:47 AM
To: histonet
Subject: [Histonet] Microm 355S

Good morning!

We are having a lot of trouble with one of our Microm 355S microtomes.  It advances forward at random times so that it ends up chunking into the block.  The first time we had a repair person in, he was skeptical that it was moving on its own - until it did it to him!  Since then, we have had a repair people in several times (under service contract, thank goodness).  One told me that random block advancement is a common problem with this model.  He also said that it is very difficult to find the cause and is therefore very hard fix it.  We've replaced fuses, circuit boards...  and it's still doing it.  Has anyone else seen this problem and if so how did they fix it?

Thanks in advance!
Erin

Erin Martin, Histology Supervisor
UCSF Department of Dermatopathology