[Histonet] Recycler (Behnaz Sohrab) xylene test for recycled alcohols product or alcohols to be recycled

Steve McClain SteveM <@t> mcclainlab.com
Wed Sep 7 13:17:29 CDT 2011

7 years with the same B/R Procycler

Would definitely buy again.

It has paid for itself, even in a small lab.

Good company.

They will analyze your product and suggest revisions in the recycling
programs as needed.

How you use it and what you put into it to distill generally determines
your results.

Excellent for xylene 70-90% recovery (3.5-4.5 gallons from 5 gallon
run).

Reagent Alcohols we only recycle 90-100% with No contact with xylene and
get back 95% suitable for processor- we do not use recycled alcohols for
staining. We have not been brave or foolish enough to try it again after
some issues early on.

We do not use isopropyl alcohol.

You can program to recycle lower concentrations of alcohol, BUT

1)      it takes longer to run and

2)      our product results early on were not as consistent.

Keep it clean.

We do not recycle alcohol purges from processors nor the two absolutes
after xylene on the stainers.

If you add any contaminated alcohols, you contaminate the whole 5
gallons.

We learned to do the "xylene test"- when you suspect an alcohol is
contaminated with xylene.  Add equal volumes of DH2O and suspect reagent
in a 100ml graduated cylinder or long neck volumetric flask.  Let stand
for 5 minutes, the xylene will appear on top.

Steve A. McClain, MD

McClain Labs, LLC 45 Manor Road, Smithtown, NY 11787 631 361 4000