[Histonet] IHC validation

Morken, Timothy Timothy.Morken <@t> ucsfmedctr.org
Thu Sep 1 12:09:22 CDT 2011

Tim

Use outside controls to validate your own internal controls. Normal control tissue is acceptable and is useful because it has consistent expression of the antigen. Cancer tissue is quite variable in expression and sometimes the expected expression is less than the normal tissue, and sometimes even negative.

As a parallel validation test you can send your unstained slides to a second lab that does the test and they send their slides to you. If both results are the same you can feel confident in your test.

Tim Morken
Supervisor, Histology, IPOX
UCSF Medical Center
San Francisco, CA, USA

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Tim Higgins
Sent: Thursday, September 01, 2011 9:23 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] IHC validation

Hello Histo Friends,

Has anyone had to validate IHC antibodies when you do not have tissue processed in house to use for your validation.  I do have control tissue that stains properly but it was acquired from outsides sources with verified proper predicted staining.

If you have done this type of validation, how did you make the pathologist feel comfortable with it?  I understand pathologist all to well and you can't make them do anything they do not want to do but I am looking for suggestions that might have worked in helping them feel comfortable.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim