[Histonet] RE: slide labeling

Goins, Tresa TGoins <@t> mt.gov
Mon Oct 31 11:20:07 CDT 2011

Hi Lisa -

We hand write our labels, but do so prior to cutting sections.

The accession numbers [unique to every slide] are read from a printed data sheet and written on the slides.  This allows verification that the numbers match [slide and block] as the tissues are cut.  If the numbers are written at microtomy I see it as a source of possible labeling errors.

All blocks and slides are processed in numerical order so there is a number check at embedding, at cutting and at final labeling.

Tresa Goins
Veterinary Diagnostic Lab
South 19th and Lincoln
Bozeman, MT 59718
406-994-6353 - phone
406-994-6344 - fax

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Setlak, Lisa
Sent: Monday, October 31, 2011 10:09 AM
To: 'histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu'; 'histonet-request <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu'; 'histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu'
Subject: [Histonet] slide labeling

Hi,
Just curious because this questions has come up multiple times from non-histology people so I thought I'd post it here. When labeling slides at microtomy what info do you include on the slide? I know the automated slide labelers that are out there will include patient name, surgical number etc.; but when handwriting slides as you cut what do you write on them? Currently we write the case number, part number and level as well as the cutters initials. After staining we put the permanent label on that has patient name and case number etc (hence two identifiers). Is there anyone out there who hand writes the patient name on the slide or a second identifier on it at the time of microtomy?
Thanks for your help,
Lisa

Lisa V.
Chg., IL