[Histonet] saving slides between levels for IHC?

Kim Donadio one_angel_secret <@t> yahoo.com
Wed Oct 26 10:10:43 CDT 2011

I think it depends on what the specimen is. All of the places Ive worked have always kept extras(levels) on sentinal nodes for keratins, also for prostate needle biopsies for p63/504s or other IHC's.

Really doesnt it come down to what the Pathologist needs to make a diagnosis for the patient?

I know it's a pain to cut so many levels and save them. Its also costly. But trust me, none of that is as bad as the sinking feeling you get when a biopsy has been exhausted and they need more stains :(

Hope this helps. Just my 2 cents worth.......

Kim Donadio

________________________________
From: Sheila Fonner <sfonner <@t> labpath.com>
To: "'Harrison, Sandra C.'" <Sandra.Harrison3 <@t> va.gov>; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Sent: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 7:28 AM
Subject: RE: [Histonet] saving slides between levels for IHC?

Sandy,

I don't think it is a "standard" procedure.  However, our pathologist will
frequently ask us to keep intervening levels for possible IHC on certain
cases that are small or where the tumor is about to be exhausted.  We are a
dermatopathology lab.  When it is requested, we cut the whole case on a
clean waterbath, using distilled water and no additives, on plus slides.
The routine H&E's are stained normally and the other slides are dried and
held for possible immunos.

Sheila
KDL Pathology
Knoxville, TN