[Histonet] DISPOSAL OF SPECIMENS

Tim Higgins thiggins <@t> cddmedical.com
Tue Oct 25 08:28:04 CDT 2011

I have been in the histology field for 20 years and never heard of having to
remove the labels prior to disposal through an approved vendor.  I don't
believe that the labels from blood tubes are removed prior to disposal, this
would be the same type of scenario.

Thanks,

Tim

Message: 9
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 12:36 -0400
From: "Sara Baldwin/mhhcc.org" <sbaldwin <@t> mhhcc.org>
Subject: [Histonet] DISPOSAL OF SPECIMENS
To: "histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu"

 Hi histonetters
what does everyone currently do with the vials the Pathologists empty when
doing gross?  Ours goes in biohazard bags, but someone mentioned to me they
the labels should be taken off and then the vials put in the biohazard bag.
If we did this we would just be taking off labels all day long. I have
worked at 2 hospitals in my 35 years of experience and we have never done
this.  If we started this look at the clinical labs with blood specimens.
Isn't there some sort of confidential agreement between the hospitals and
hazard material companies? I would love to know your thoughts.

Thanks
Histology/Cytology Supervisor
S. Kathy Baldwin, SCT (ASCP)
Memorial Hospital and Health Care Center
sbaldwin <@t> mhhcc.org
Ph 812-996-0210, 0216,  Fax 812-996-0232,
Pager 812-481-0897, Cell 812-887-3357
Confidential information, Authorized use only.