[Histonet] (no subject)

Norton, Sally sally.norton <@t> seattlechildrens.org
Mon Oct 17 16:36:24 CDT 2011

Hi Miha, we do many muscle bxs here as well, & the information Becky has sent you is exactly how we do it.  This should help you!

Sally Norton
Seattle Children's Hospital
Seattle, WA

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Garrison, Becky
Sent: Monday, October 17, 2011 1:41 PM
To: 'Miha Tesar'; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] (no subject)

I am forwarding this response from a fellow worker, D Kaylor
(The techs here have consistently good results when freezing fresh muscles
for enzyme histochemistry.

The small holes are freeze artifact.  Usually they occur when the muscle is not frozen fast enough.  We use methyl butane floating in a liquid nitrogen bath.  Either way, the temp is critical.  It needs to be at least -155 degrees C.   The muscle must be submerged and held under for about 45 seconds to one minute.  Do not start or dip the muscle.  Once started it must be held submerged.  We have never had any issues with humidity.   Are the muscle bx swimming in saline?   We have better results when they are submitted on saline moistened gauze.
We use positively charged slides to pick up our sections.  We have some wrinkles but that is due to the sectioning of frozen tissue not the type of slide.

Becky Garrison
Pathology Supervisor
Shands Jacksonville
Jacksonville, FL 32209