[Histonet] Standardizing staining/IHC protocols by case or tissue type

Pohl, Brandon J bpohl <@t> swedishamerican.org
Fri Oct 7 12:07:08 CDT 2011

I am having trouble getting my pathologists to understand that their lack of standardization or consistency in ordering special stains and IHC is resulting in such low volumes that many of the stains or antibodies are not cost effective for us to run.  They seem to think that the way they each individually order certain stains based on preference or comfort level in reading is a norm amongst all pathologists.  I am hoping to get some feedback from anyone willing in order to find out if they are correct or if my point of standardizing their methods is valid.  For anyone willing to share, could you please let me know what types of protocols or panels you have established for different types of tissues or different types of cancers that are SOP for each of those cases.  I know some cases require flexibility and variation, but we have very little in terms of standardization that each pathologist follows.  Thanks!

Brandon Pohl MAT, HTL (ASCP)
Histology Supervisor
Swedish American Hospital
Rockford, IL 61104