[Histonet] frozen breast tissue

Galbraith, Joe joseph-galbraith <@t> uiowa.edu
Fri Oct 7 08:23:48 CDT 2011

Hello everyone:

I have a research project that wants to collect and study breast tissue both tumor and normal for long range studies (not clearly defined) that would include DNA/RNA/mRNA/protein expression along with many other possibilities.  I would like your expertise (particularly from the researchers) as to what methods of preservation and storage you would recommend.  Currently we have been snap freezing foil wrapped fresh tissue at -80 using a SnapFrost unit and then storing at -130 and also doing the same with a small OCT embedding piece of tissue as well.  I'm concerned about the ability to cut frozen sections on the OCT specimen.   Particularly, I'd be interested in opinions regarding any options for embedding and freezing fresh tissue that might enhance the ability to cut frozen sections rather than having to resort to FFPE.  What are your thoughts and experiences?  Thanks.

Joe
joseph-galbraith <@t> uiowa.edu<mailto:joseph-galbraith <@t> uiowa.edu>