[Histonet] "formol"

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Thu Oct 6 16:02:25 CDT 2011

Formal is what Dr. Lilklie says, FORMOL is methanal (HCHO).
The name started in Germany in 1891 as the trade name for the 37-40% aq. sol. of methanal or formaldehyde. It was adopted in Spain and all Hispano American countries after Dr. Santiago Ramón y Cajal (Nobel Proze in Medicine along with Golgi) when he translated his silver methods to German.
Please refer to:
Fox, Johnson, Whiting and Roller (1985): Formaldehyde fixation. J.Histochem.Cytochem; 33(8):845-853
René J.

--- On Thu, 10/6/11, Breeden, Sara <sbreeden <@t> nmda.nmsu.edu> wrote:

From: Breeden, Sara <sbreeden <@t> nmda.nmsu.edu>
Subject: RE: [Histonet] "formol"
To: "Rene J Buesa" <rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com>, histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu, gu.lang <@t> gmx.at
Date: Thursday, October 6, 2011, 4:18 PM

Not to put too fine a point on this interesting discussion (or "lecture
series", as it were), I add a little quote from R.D. Lillie,
Histopathologic Technic and Practical Histochemistry, 3rd ed, 1965: "The
word 'formal' [sic], sometimes erroneously used as a synonym, refers
properly to quite another substance, CH3O-Ch2-OCH3, dimethoxymethane."

It matters not  and I'm not even quite sure why I decided to take up the
fight -  what was the question???