[Histonet] Difference between Neutral Buffered Formalin 10% and NB formaldehyde 3.7 to 4%

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Thu Oct 6 08:12:55 CDT 2011

Jenny:
Formaldehyde is the GAS methanal that dissolves in water at a maximum concentration between 37-40% vol./vol. To prevent its polymerization, small amounts of mathanol (an alcohol)are added.
The 10% solution formaldehyde contains between 3.7 and 4.0% of formaldehyde and is called "formalin" in many countries and "formol" in Europe.
So formalin is a 3.7 to 4.0% solution of formaldehyde.
So a 10% formalin = 3.7-4.0% formaldehyde.
NBF is prepared by added phosphate salts to prevent the formalin to acidify and is used to fix tissues.
It is a pitty that your supervisor has so little knowledge about the area she is supposed to supervise, but I am not do not know why, but I am not. surprised.
To your question: SHE is wrong, really wrong!
René J.

--- On Wed, 10/5/11, Jenny Vega <histotech411 <@t> gmail.com> wrote:

From: Jenny Vega <histotech411 <@t> gmail.com>
Subject: [Histonet] Difference between Neutral Buffered Formalin 10% and NB formaldehyde 3.7 to 4%
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Date: Wednesday, October 5, 2011, 7:03 PM

Ok I want to know the diferrence between Neutral Buffered Formalin 10% and
NB formaldehyde 3.7 to 4% . I was taugh at college that they were the same
thing and in the book from Frieda Carson it says that but my supervisor
swears they are different chemicals. In the laboratory she has used 10%
neutral buffered formalin all the time, but when we ran out of it  we were
sent NB formaldehyde 3.7 to 4 %she sent it back and we were sent NB
formaldehyde 3.7 to 4% once again. She says that 10% NBF is more
concentrated and pure than 3.7 to 4 % formaldehyde and that the tissues are
going to  putrefied if they are put in that solution.

Am I wrong or is she wrong? thanks