[Histonet] Difference between Neutral Buffered Formalin 10% and NB formaldehyde 3.7 to 4%

idimitro <@t> mun.ca idimitro <@t> mun.ca
Thu Oct 6 07:54:26 CDT 2011

Jenni,

I am sending this link that should clarify it to your supervisor, although  you are in a difficult position. Yes they are the same thing.
 Citation:" A fixative labeled as 10% buffered formalin is actually only a 4% solution of formaldehyde. This is because 10% buffered formalin is an example of old-time histologist's jargon describing a 10% solution made from a stock bottle of 37-40% formaldehyde (or more precisely: a 3.7-4% solution of formaldehyde).End of citation.
http://swehsc.pharmacy.arizona.edu/exppath/resources/formaldehyde.php

iliana

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of William
Sent: October 5, 2011 9:29 PM
To: Rosie Scrimizzi
Cc: <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>; <histotech411 <@t> gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Difference between Neutral Buffered Formalin 10% and NB formaldehyde 3.7 to 4%

Jenni, we do not "oh dear" you, in fact we congratulate you for coming here to get the answers you need.  Many of us lament the state of affairs in histology today.

Formaldehyde can not exist as a liquid.   100% Formaldehyde is a gas.  To use it in histology we purchase it as formalin which has a concentration of 37% to a max of 40% formaldehyde. We then make 10% formalin which is 3.7% to 4% formaldehyde.

Incidentally I have worked with a pathologist who used nothing but 4% zinc formalin very successfully (actually better penetration than 10%NBF) -- invalidating the initial premise of your supervisor.

Will

Sent from my iPhone