[Histonet] Congo Red for Amyloid

Mary Benoit mbplab <@t> yahoo.com
Tue Oct 4 13:55:13 CDT 2011

Need help with Congo Red for Amyloid problem.  We have been using automated staining with Dako's Artisan and recently tried manual procedure with fresh reagents from Polyscientific kit with little to no staining on two commercially prepared controls and two different patients who have been sent for consult and returned with a positive amyloidosis diagnosis( as predicted by my pathologist).  I followed procedure furnished by Polyscientific to the "T", cut slides at 8 microns, used clean fresh reagents and glassware.  I did notice that Polyscientific's order of reagent application was different from old AFIP manual of staining instructions and the time in Congo Red a little shorter( 20 minutes as opposed to 1 hour).  Any suggestions??
Mary F Benoit MT(ASCP)
The Pathology Laboratory
Lake Charles, Louisiana
mbplab <@t> yahoo.com