[Histonet] Ann Preece (was "decal [sic] question")

Bell, Lynne Lynne.Bell <@t> cvmc.org
Tue Oct 4 11:23:47 CDT 2011

I also have a copy of Preece's "bible" from 1972!  A couple of pages are loose and the spine is a bit frayed.  What a great book!!

Lynne Bell, HT (ASCP)
Histology Team Leader
Central Vermont Medical Center
130 Fisher Road
Berlin, VT  05641
802-371-4923

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Bob Richmond
Sent: Tuesday, October 04, 2011 11:39 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Ann Preece (was "decal [sic] question")

Bernice Frederick HTL (ASCP), Senior Research Tech at the  Pathology
Core Facility of the  Robert. H. Lurie Cancer Center at Northwestern
University in Chicago notes"

>>Ann Preece states acid decal uses aqueous solutions of either formic, nitric, or trichloroacetic acid. Other methods mentioned are Ion-exchange resin, electrical ionization and chelation. The histo bible!<<

You've got to be almost as geezer as me to remember when Ann Preece's
"A Manual for Histologic Technicians" was the histo bible. I was
fortunate to be able to purloin a pristine (no stain spills) copy of
the third edition (1972) from the wreckage of an old histology lab
about 20 years ago.

Indeed, Patsy Ruegg! "Decal" is a trademark of the Decal Chemical
Corporation and should not be used generically for decalcifying
solutions. See decal-bone.com

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN