[Histonet] RE: Atlas of laboratory mouse histology

Andrea Marion amario3 <@t> uic.edu
Mon Oct 3 14:34:07 CDT 2011

Hi Julie -

Other than the ones you already found, I have two (okay 3) more
recommendations:

1- Theiler's classic The House Mouse: Atlas of Embryonic Development has a
great histology of mouse embryos. I use it side-by-side with the Kaufmann
text for embryo histology. It's freely available for download, which is
very handy:
http://www.emouseatlas.org/Atlas/Theiler_book_download.html

2- There is a quick online guide for adult mouse histology at
http://ctrgenpath.net/static/atlas/mousehistology/Windows/introduction.html

It's a nice page for quickly checking something, but there is not a lot of
in depth coverage.

3 - I also suggest searching on the mouse research listserv, I've seen it
discussed there before and a quick search turned up a number of
recommendations:

http://www.informatics.jax.org/lyris-cgi/lyris.pl?visit=mgi-list

Good luck,

Andrea

Andrea Marion
Graduate Student
University of Illinois at Chicago

[Histonet] RE: Atlas of laboratory mouse histology

Hinsinger Julie julie.hinsinger <@t> umontreal.ca
Mon Oct 3 12:27:52 CDT 2011
Just to let you know about the first answers:

-          There is an online atlas that was brought to my attention :

http://www.mouseatlas.org/data/mouse/libraries/SM202
<http://www.mouseatlas.org/data/mouse/libraries/SM202>

-           And most referred book was Atlas of Mouse Development by
Matthew H. Kaufman with a revised edition, printed in 2002. (Good for
mouse embryo stages)

I might have another question: As for adult organs, is there a general
histology atlas you refer to?  In our lab, we use "Pathology of the Mouse"
Robert R. Maronpot
<http://www.amazon.ca/s?_encoding=UTF8&search-alias=books-ca&field-author=Robert%20R.%20Maronpot>

As we work on both human and mouse tissues, I have found a new book that
might be interesting "Comparative Anatomy and Histology: A Mouse and Human
Atlas" Have you heard about it? It will be released in December 2011.

http://www.amazon.ca/Comparative-Anatomy-Histology-Expert-Consult/dp/0123813611/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1317661829&sr=1-1

It aims at the new mouse investigator as well as medical and veterinary
pathologists who need to expand their knowledge base into comparative
anatomy and histology. It guides the reader through normal mouse anatomy
and histology using direct comparison to the human. The side by side
comparison of mouse and human tissues highlight the unique biology of the
mouse, which has great impact on the validation of mouse models of human
disease.

Seems great! I don't know...

Julie