[Histonet] Slide/Block Retention

Podawiltz, Thomas tpodawiltz <@t> lrgh.org
Mon Oct 3 11:40:14 CDT 2011

We are state inspected under CLIA, which block retention is two years, however we follow the more stricter CAP of ten years.

Tom Podawiltz HT (ASCP)
Histology Section Head/Laboratory Safety Officer.
LRGHealthcare
Laconia, NH 03246
603-524-3211 ext: 3220

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Janice Mahoney
Sent: Monday, October 03, 2011 10:23 AM
To: rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu; mjdessoye <@t> wvhcs.org
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Slide/Block Retention

CAP standard is 10 years for tissue blocks.  I would caution not keeping them for that period for several reasons.  One is that it may put you in a bad position regarding legal cases.  You could be asked why you don't follow the most strict standard and be expected to explain why.  The second is for subsequent patient care.  When Her-2 first come on the scene we were pulling blocks from cases older than 2 years old.  You never know what new prognostic/predictive markers will appear on the scene.  If you don't have the original tumor material you may be doing your patients a disservice.  If I had blocks at your institution I would want to keep them myself rather than have them destroyed.Jan M.Omaha