[Histonet] Slide/Block Retention

Dessoye, Michael J mjdessoye <@t> wvhcs.org
Mon Oct 3 08:50:26 CDT 2011

Hello Histonet,

What policy is everyone following for slide and block retention?  We are
not CAP, however we currently keep slides and blocks for 10 years.  My
director wants to decrease that period to 2 years, which is the Joint
Commission standard.  I would like to keep 10 years because we
frequently are asked to send slides for consult and review that are
several years old.  It is also helpful when looking for hard-to-find
control tissue.  However these reasons are apparently not sufficient.

I'm leaning towards keeping the 10 year policy, but I need additional
justification.  Or does anyone think the 2 year period is sufficient?

Thanks,
Mike

Michael J. Dessoye, M.S. | Histology Supervisor | Wyoming Valley Health
Care System | mjdessoye <@t> wvhcs.org <mailto:mjdessoye <@t> wvhcs.org>  |
575 N. River Street | Wilkes Barre, PA 18764 | Tel: 570-552-1485 | Fax:
570-552-1526

they are addressed.
originator of the message. This footer also confirms that this
email message has been scanned for the presence of computer viruses.

states them to be the views of Wyoming Valley Health Care System.

Scanning of this message and addition of this footer is performed
by Websense Email Security software in conjunction with
virus detection software.