[Histonet] fresh specimens after hours

joelle weaver joelleweaver <@t> hotmail.com
Wed Nov 30 11:23:00 CST 2011

RonnieFrom my experience when working in labs that are not staffed 24/7 with HT or grossing personnel, after hours fresh specimens are called to a pathologist on call by the OR staff, who may then make the judgment to instruct them on fixation needed, or come in for a FS or view the specimen. Most places have used a pager or page # system with an on call rotation. Sometimes a histology person has been on -call after hours too ( if they usually do the FS, accessioning etc at the bench in lieu of PA) or just be available certain hours if the pathologist needs them to assist with FS,  other preparations for send outs etc.I think this is pretty much what you have suggested, and that seems to be in alignment with the arrangments and expectations I have worked for these circumstances in a few of my positions without 24 hr staff.Joelle

Joelle Weaver MAOM, BA, (HTL) ASCP

http://www.linkedin.com/in/joelleweaver