[Histonet] Problems in processing rat paws

Elizabeth Chlipala liz <@t> premierlab.com
Fri Nov 18 11:15:40 CST 2011

Catia

Its going to take about a week to decal those types of samples in formic acid and in addition to that the processing cycle needs to be considerably longer.  By rat paw, I'm assuming you are mean the front paw or is it the rear ankle that you need to process.  First of all the samples need to be fixed for at least 48 hours prior to decalcification.  We use 10% formic acid in distilled water, seems to work fine for us.  For ankle samples without the rear toes, it takes about a week to decal.  If the toes are attached in our hands it takes about two weeks, we change the decal about every third day or so and always on the day prior to processing.  Ankles are trimmed in half and processed, both halves in one cassette.  For ankle and toes, we trim one side of the joint off prior to processing.  For front paws since they are a bit thick I would trim off some of the wrist pad prior to processing.  Processing cycle is long.  1 hour in each station for ankles and 1 to 2 hours per station for ankles with toes.  We use three absolutes and three xylenes and 4 paraffins when processing.

70% - 1 hour
80% - 1 hour
95% - 1 hour
100% - 1 hour