[Histonet] Fatty mamma tissue keeps on washing off

Hoekert, W.E.J. W.E.J.Hoekert <@t> olvg.nl
Thu Nov 17 02:09:19 CST 2011

Hi histonetters

Here is an update on my struggle to keep the fatty mamma tissue on the slides. I got a few responses on my  mail so I have tried a few other things.

Post fix the slides. Deparaffinize the slides using xylene and hydrate to water, post fix the slides in 10% NBF for 10 minutes (I did it for about 4 hours) and proceed as usual. That worked for a few of my hopeless cases. Still, some other cases would still come of the slides.

I have also tried the Dako slides. Indeed they work great. Of the 4 cases that washed off no matter what, all but one stayed on the Dako slides.

So from now on, if we have a case that washes off, we will be using the Dako slides.

Thanks for your help,

Willem Hoekert
OLVG AMsterdam
The Netherlands