[Histonet] Lithium carbonate

Lee & Peggy Wenk lpwenk <@t> sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 16 04:25:47 CST 2011

Any chance it should have been 0.5 g lithium carbonate in 500 mL water?
Maybe someone typed the label wrong? That's happened to us before. Is it
supposed to be a 1.0% solution, or a 0.1% solution?

Only reason I'm asking is that the only place we use lithium carbonate is in
the LFB stain for myelin, and we use a 0.05% solution (0.25 g in 500 mL).

If you are adding 5 g to 500 mL of water, that's a 1% solution, which, for
lithium carbonate, is very close to being a saturated solution (where not
all of it will dissolve).

Peggy A. Wenk, HTL(ASCP)SLS
Beaumont Hospital
Royal Oak, MI 48073

(The opinions expressed are mine, and do not reflect on my hospital.)

-----Original Message-----
From: Nancy Schmitt
Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 8:39 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Lithium carbonate

Good Morning-
Making up some lithium carbonate - it is staying very milky in appearance -
have not previously had that happen.  We tried a couple different times -
same result.  We are not doing anything different - 5g lithium carbonate to
500ml Type I water.
Any thoughts?
Thanks, Nancy

NOTICE: This email may contain legally privileged information. The
information
is for the use of only the intended recipient(s) even if addressed
incorrectly. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender
that you have received it in error and then delete it along with any
attachments. Thank you.