[Histonet] is there a way to recover ruined tissues

Patsy Ruegg pruegg <@t> ihctech.net
Tue Nov 15 14:26:28 CST 2011

My tissue processor was loaded and although the technician thought they
started it, the next morning the tissues were found dry in the retort with
the processor not started.  Another technician just started the machine so
the tissues got processed as they would have been had it started the day
before.  The tissues look terrible, they shrank so much that the pieces
started coming out of the cassettes even though they were plenty large
enough in the first place.  The tissues were found to be very small and hard
but were embedded, sectioned and stained anyway (I was not informed about
this until I started questioning why the tissues looked so bad).

Of course the investigator is very upset that their tissues are ruined.
Does anyone know if there is any way to try and recovery these tissues?
They were mouse lungs and livers.  The livers are not as bad as the lungs,
the lungs were inflated and they look compressed and unrecognizable as lung
tissue.  If the investigator will ever speak to me again I am going to ask
for the blocks back and try melting them down and perhaps try to rehydrate
them somehow for reprocessing.

Regards,

Patsy

Patsy Ruegg, HT(ASCP)QIHC