[Histonet] Second Shift lead position available at CellNetix Labs
foreightl <@t> gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 15:47:22 CST 2011
*Job Title:* Lead Histotech – 2nd shift
*Department: * Laboratory
*Reports To:* Histology Supervisor
*Shifts: *3:00pm to 11:30PM Monday thru Friday
Under the supervision of the Histology Supervisor, the Lead Histology
Technician/Technologist, performs with proficiency and understanding, the
tests and procedures assigned to the Histology Department. The position is
responsible for grossing, processing, embedding, cutting and staining of
tissue blocks, accurate reporting of results, quality control, teaching,
special projects, equipment maintenance and all other duties assigned by
· Performs both routine and complex special procedures with the
understanding of tissue structures, techniques, principles, theory and
· Able to gross section and dictate descriptions of simple
specimens, process, embed, cut and stain all types of tissue specimens
received in the Histology Department.
· Coverslip stained sections, verify that the staining shows
adequate cellular distinction, label, and distribute to the pathologist
responsible for reviewing the case.
· Assures specimen labeling requirements are met and necessary
clinical information is available as needed.
· Assist pathologists with frozen section staining and processing.
· Assists laboratory assistant or performs accessioning of patient
specimens into laboratory computer system when needed.
· Demonstrates general knowledge of pathological and physiological
conditions that affect test results and tissue staining.
· Selects and maintains appropriate tissue blocks to serve as
controls for Special Satins. Maintains all documentation that insures that
all Special Stain control blocks have been adequately tested. Cuts and
labels control slides for Histology, Special Stains and IHC.
· Able to process and decal bone specimens.
· Recognize and troubleshoot both routine and complex problems and
assist other Histotechs and lab assistants with technical problems.
· Monitor quality control results and take immediate and proper
action when controls are unacceptable. Follow defined procedures with only
supervisor or pathologist approved modifications or deviations.
· Complete all instrument function verification, maintenance, and
documents according to procedure in Histology area. Ensure that equipment
defects and malfunctions are reported and repaired.
· Maintains a neat, clean, and orderly work area. At the end of the
day’s work; is responsible for the cleaning of his/her microtome, filing
his/ her cut blocks and cleaning any soiled glassware.
· Responsible for the proper handling and disposal of all
biohazardous materials and chemically hazardous materials including the
neutralization or recycling of chemicals before disposal or reuse.
· Cuts slides for IHC testing or other sendouts in conformance with
procedures and submits them for analysis.
· Takes on additional responsibility for training Laboratory
personnel including Laboratory Assistants, NRT’s and other Histotechs in
· Maybe be asked to write/ update Operating Procedures.
· Must be able to express himself/ herself effectively both in
written and verbal communications.
· Assists supervisory staff in monitoring workflow and insuring that
work/ staining priorities are met for the department.
· Will be asked to put new tests/ stains on line.
· May assist pathologists or physicians in the collection of
specimens from patients.
· Participates in special projects or other duties as assigned by
supervisor staff or company.
· Always maintains a pleasant, courteous attitude when answering the
· Conforms to laboratory timekeeping procedures. Keeps unexcused
absences and late arrivals to a minimum.
· Participates in weekend and holiday schedules as staffing
requirements dictate. Remains flexible and works a share of overtime or
different shifts if necessary during staffing shortages or emergencies.
· Participates in continuing education classes and courses. Strongly
encouraged to keep updated on recent advances in the field of histology and
to take at least 10 credit hours of continuing education a year.
· Highly encouraged to maintain membership in a professional
· Always maintains a safe work environment and attends all safety
training classes and conforms to all company safety guidelines and
· Conforms to established and new procedures and policies instituted
by the company.
· Conforms to the Laboratory Dress code and wears appropriate name
badge at all times.
· Able to accept guidance and constructive criticism. Displays a
mature and professional attitude, is honest, and has a strong sense of
responsibility toward patients and clients.
· Able to do all the duties of a HT, Non – Registered
Histotechnician, Lab Tech II, and Laboratory Assistant within the Histology
department. During heavy workloads or staffing shortages, the Histology
Technologist may be required to perform any or all of the duties in these
We are seeking an experienced person for a lead position on 2nd shift with
hours from 3pm to 11:30pm. This is a hands-on position with the Lead
performing all histo duties in addition to being a trainer and answer
person for the shift. Five years histotech experience required with at
least 1 year in a Lead or higher role. Must be certified HT/HTL.
Please apply via the CellNetix website:
Patrick Laurie HT(ASCP)QIHC
CellNetix Pathology & Laboratories
1124 Columbia Street, Suite 200
Seattle, WA 98104
plaurie <@t> cellnetix.com
More information about the Histonet