[Histonet] Staffing levels...

Cheryl tkngflght <@t> yahoo.com
Tue Nov 8 11:46:17 CST 2011

Hi Guys-

We know this is a sensitive subject!  I realize my response, below, doesn't answer your question--you'll get the numbers from other Netters.  Please be cautious in using them out of context for your lab and your staffers!!
  depend on so many moving parts that in a small lab (like yours) each set of tasks may take more time than in a huge production style lab.
Stock numbers are a good place to start.  For a little investment of time, you can do productivity numbers for your own staff that mean more for your manager than the stock numbers. These numbers

If you're a solo tech who accessions, grosses, processes, cuts, stains by hand and turns out with specials and then files everything ALL BY YOURSELF, the max is about 50 blocks a day if you're a ROCK STAR.  If you work in a situation where there are no transitions between tasks in a larger lab--sure a good tech can cut 180+ biopsy blocks a day but they'll blow out their shoulders in a few short years.  Perspective is an important part of the picture you give to those who are asking.

I had a tech who was WICKED fast and everyone thought she was the high-producer.  She made 1-2 minor mistakes a day that required time to correct.  The slower tech made NO mistakes...so in the end her productivy rate was highter than the speed demon.

My three cents!

Cheryl
Cheryl Kerry, HT(ASCP)
Full Staff Inc.
Staffing the AP Lab by helping one GREAT Tech at a time.
281.852.9457 Office
800.756.3309 Phone & Fax
admin <@t> fullstaff.org

Sign up for the FREE newsletter AP News--updates, tricks of the trade and current issues for Anatomic Pathology Clinical Labs. Send a 'subscribe' request to APNews <@t> fullstaff.org. Please include your name and specialty in the body of the email.