[Histonet] Re: Celestin blue B (was Help)

Houston, Ronald Ronald.Houston <@t> nationwidechildrens.org
Mon Nov 7 09:28:23 CST 2011

I believe Celestine Blue was used much more frequently in the UK in the 70s and 80s, preferred to an iron hematoxylin, in many "trichrome" stains including Lendrum's MSB, as Peggy mentions; the nuclear staining withstanding further differentiation during the subsequent staining from either picric or phosphotungstic/phosphomolybdic acids.
It is a difficult stain to prepare as it has to be boiled with glycerin in it and requires glass beads being added to prevent it foaming up and going all over the bench (don't have the exact recipe to hand, but do remember having to frequently clean up the mess during my training!) We used it extensively, and I do not remember it having a particularly short shelf-life - but it did have to be filtered regularly.

Ronnie Houston, MS HT(ASCP)QIHC
Anatomic Pathology Manager
Nationwide Children's Hospital
Columbus OH 43205
(614) 722 5450

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Bob Richmond
Sent: Sunday, November 06, 2011 3:42 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Re: Celestin blue B (was Help)

Corrie Vernick writes:

>>I am currently a histology student at Keiser University. I am doing a
>>project for my routine staining class about Celestine Blue. I've been
>>able to find information on why it was created, the chemical make up,
>>and some of it's uses including the trichrome stain. I am having
>>trouble finding images of slides stained with Celestine Blue. Any
>>additional information about the uses would be helpful as well! Thank
>>you, Corrinne Vernick, Keiser University FL U.S.A.<<

I don't have access to my library this week, but you can get a good bit information by Googling celestin blue B. This dye was often used as a sort of backup or substitute for hematoxylin, particularly in the old outmoded Pearse stain for pituitary cells. R.D. Lillie as I remember didn't think much of the dye, and I don't think this dye is a very good topic for a study such as the one you describe.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN

The following mail message, including any attachments, is for the
sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential
and privileged information. The recipient is responsible to
maintain the confidentiality of this information and to use the
information only for authorized purposes. If you are not the
intended recipient (or authorized to receive information for the
intended recipient), you are hereby notified that any review, use,
disclosure, distribution, copying, printing, or action taken in
reliance on the contents of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If
you have received this communication in error, please notify us
immediately by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original
message. Thank you.