[Histonet] problem with brain sections falling off subbed slides

Kim Donadio one_angel_secret <@t> yahoo.com
Thu Nov 3 07:46:48 CDT 2011

Good morning. I see you mention only part of your protocol so I am not sure if you are going directly to the stain? This procedure seems close to what you are working with, it has a few tips. Hope this helps.

Procedure:
	1. Mount frozen or vibratome 				sections on gelatin coated or positive charged plus slides. Air 				dry sections or bake slides on slide warmer overnight.
	2. Place slides directly into 1:1 			alcohol/chloroform overnight and then rehydrate through 100% and 95 			% alcohol to distilled water. DON’T put frozen sections directly to 			water otherwise they will come off the slides.This is called de-fat step that will reduce background fat 				staining.
	3. Stain in 0.1% cresyl violet solution for 5-10 				minutes. Notes:Staining in warmed cresyl violet solution (warm up in 37-50 ºC oven) 				can improve penetration and enhancing even staining. It is 				particularly beneficial for thicker (30 um) sections.
	4. Rinse quickly in 				distilled water.
	5. Differentiate in 95% ethyl alcohol 				for 2-30 minutes and check microscopically for best result.
	6. Dehydrate in 				100% alcohol 2x5 min.
	7. Clear in  xylene 2x5 min.
	8. Mount with permanent mountingmedium.

http://www.ihcworld.com/_protocols/special_stains/nissl-frozen-section.htm

Kim Donadio

________________________________
From: John Kiernan <jkiernan <@t> uwo.ca>
To: Douglas M Burns <dmburns9 <@t> gmail.com>; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Sent: Wednesday, November 2, 2011 11:19 PM
Subject: Re: [Histonet] problem with brain sections falling off subbed slides

Gelatin alone is not an adhesive because it dissolves in water. Chrome alum-gelatin is an excellent adhesive for sections and costs almost nothing to make. Subbed slides are one coated with chrome gelatin, dried and stored. The following web link shows a 1999 publication giving the rationale and methods for a variety of section adhesives.
     http://publish.uwo.ca/~jkiernan/adhesivs.htm

John Kiernan
Anatomy,UWO
London, Canada