[Histonet] Unlabeled specimens

DKBoyd <@t> chs.net DKBoyd <@t> chs.net
Fri May 27 08:25:38 CDT 2011

Irretrivable specimens are not rejected and are reconciled by calling the
offending department/ office.  The offending person is responsible for
coming to the lab and correcting the error.  The error is noted on the
original Pathology Requistion.  The incident is logged into the computer
system and reported in the final Pathology report.  A Risk Management form
is filled out and sent to Risk Manangement.
We also perform work for a lab 40 miles away.  We have them write an
attestation to the fact that they are sure this is the correct
patient/information.  Sign it and fax it to us.  We staple it to the Path.
Requisition (requisitions are kept for 2 years).
Then we proceed with the steps as stated above.
The attending/surgeon is notified by the pathologist.

Debbie M. Boyd, HT(ASCP) l Chief Histologist l Southside Regional Medical
Center I
200 Medical Park Boulevard l Petersburg, Va.  23805 l T: 804-765-5050 l F:
804-765-5582 l dkboyd <@t> chs.net

"Podawiltz, Thomas" <tpodawiltz <@t> lrgh.org>
Sent by: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
05/25/2011 01:34 PM

"'Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu'" <Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
cc

Subject
[Histonet] Unlabeled specimens

What are your procedures for rejection and correction when you receive
either a surgical or Nongyn specimen that  has incomplete information on
the requisitions or the container is not labeled properly?
Do you send it back to the provider's office?
Have them come to your lab to make the corrections?
Throw away the specimen?

Tom

THIS MESSAGE IS CONFIDENTIAL.
This e-mail message and any attachments are proprietary and confidential
information intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above. If
you are not the intended recipient, you may not print,distribute, or copy
this message or any attachments.  If you have received this communication
in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this
message and any attachments from your computer. Any views or opinions
expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent
those of LRGHealthcare.