[Histonet] IHC pos. & neg. control question

Tony Henwood AnthonyH <@t> chw.edu.au
Thu May 19 21:42:22 CDT 2011

It still comes down to why test the positive control for false positive reactions after it has already been determined that they are not present.

But what you say about positive controls matching patient's tissue with regards to pre-fixing, fixing and processing is correct but in the real world we cannot guarantee that this would happen. We can only work on averages and hope that conditions are as similar as possible.

In a perfect world we would not need negative, nor dare I say positive, controls.

Regards
Tony Henwood JP, MSc, BAppSc, GradDipSysAnalys, CT(ASC), FFSc(RCPA)
Laboratory Manager & Senior Scientist
Tel: 612 9845 3306
Fax: 612 9845 3318
the children's hospital at westmead
Cnr Hawkesbury Road and Hainsworth Street, Westmead
Locked Bag 4001, Westmead NSW 2145, AUSTRALIA

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Pete.Pedersen <@t> HealthONEcares.com
Sent: Friday, 20 May 2011 5:31 AM
To: GDawson <@t> dynacaremilwaukee.com; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] IHC pos. & neg. control question

Glen,

If I am to understand you correctly you are saying control tissue is not treated the same as patient tissue, therefore is useless as a negative control correct? Then inversely doesn't that mean the same thing towards the use of a positive control? How can you guarantee the positive control tissue was treated the same as the positive stained patient tissue? According to your logic it cannot. Therefore, without the use of a negative control how can you say the staining seen in the positive control is truly positive and not artifact? Best practice says use positive and negative patient and control tissue. Please enlighten me if you know anything to the contrary?

Pete Pedersen   B.S. HTL (ASCP)
Anatomic Pathology Supervisor