[Histonet] Re: 100 micron paraffin sections?

Johnson, Teri TJJ <@t> stowers.org
Wed May 18 13:49:49 CDT 2011

Tim,

The thickest paraffin sections I have cut are 50 microns and they curled so tightly right off the blade I can't imagine what you might get with a 100 micron section. Even if you do get this slab intact, I think the tissue would show cracking artifact, not to mention the big chunks taken out at the block face like one would get from too aggressive rough trimming (facing into the block). Sections of this thickness are almost always better if done with a vibratome and mounted out of buffer onto a glass slide.

Good luck!

Teri Johnson, HT(ASCP)QIHC
Head, Histology and Electron Microscopy
Stowers Institute for Medical Research