[Histonet] Filter Paper for Harris Hematoxylin

taylor alan aj.taylor <@t> blueyonder.co.uk
Wed May 18 08:04:40 CDT 2011

Hi Dr Dubey

Thanks for your message regarding choice of filter papers. Here in the U.K.
Whatman No 1 is almost universally used for filtration of all reagents and
solutions used in microscopy or general chemistry preparation. Other grades
of filter paper are available for other applications, but No 1 is the most
popular and enduring simple filtering medium for our purposes.

I do not have any particular views on the differences between purchased or
'in-house' prepared Harris Haematoxylin solutions.
We use both. We use Sodium Iodate as the ripening agent, this does not
appear to change the qualities of the finished solution over the previous
use of mercuric oxide.

We change our haematoxylin once a week on the stainer, usually it is one of
the last jobs at the end of the day to set up the filtering of used
haematoxylin in the trough, (usually approx 400ml) so that in the morning
there is a flask of crystal free stain to re-use , this does not apply to
weekends, as the haematoxylin is discarded early monday morning, the trough
washed and dried and fresh haematoxylin added, we run several test slides
for evaluation. In addition we always routinely change all the other
solutions on the stainer at the start of the week and as required
subsequently.

Hope this is helpful to you.

Alan Taylor BSc(Hons). FRMS.
Microtechnical Services