[Histonet] Histology station for core lab

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Sat May 14 11:51:36 CDT 2011

For teaching you are right that the path is manual. For a limited budget Google for used microtomes or try eBay.
René J.

From: Debra Baluch <PAGE.BALUCH <@t> asu.edu>
To: "histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu" <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Friday, May 13, 2011 7:16 PM
Subject: [Histonet] Histology station for core lab

Hi All,
    I manage a bioimaging core facility and teach a couple of courses related to cell and tissue culture research and sample prep for live and fixed cell imaging. We have expanded to train people on the use of a cryostat, that is part of our core facility, and are now looking into obtaining a microtome to teach histological techniques.  Do you have recommendations of a good rotary microtome that would work well in a core facility? Most researchers in our department manually embed and stain so we are not as familiar with the more automated instruments for sample processing. Since much of the focus is in regards to learning the process we are leaning towards going with the more manual route. We are working with a limited budget so we will need to be somewhat conservative in the models we select.
Thanks for your suggestions,
Page