[Histonet] Re: Is anybody hiring techs without a certification?

Jennifer MacDonald JMacDonald <@t> mtsac.edu
Sun May 8 20:30:23 CDT 2011

Pamela,
Thank you for clarifying.  This is not what I understood from you first
post.
Jennifer

Pamela Marcum <mucram11 <@t> comcast.net>
Sent by: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
05/08/2011 05:32 PM

Jennifer MacDonald <JMacDonald <@t> mtsac.edu>
cc
histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu,
histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu, Robert Richmond
<rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com>
Subject
Re: [Histonet] Re: Is anybody hiring techs without a certification?

Jennifer,

I am not sure you understood that I know the paths to getting
registration.  We can argue this forever however; the outcome is the same
too little; too late for Histology to grow.  No one in a Med Tech program
since the middle 60's is required to even set foot in Histology so we are
the not known and will not be until we or one of these organizations goes
beyond lip service and promises.  After 40 years I am still asked what
kind of history I teach.  I explain what we do and generally hear of
that's great, never knew you guys existed.  I go to schools when I can
someone to invite me and still it is not a field anyone knows.

  We currently have two people training in our lab.  One has an AA and the
other an AS degree.  Both are taking additional science and chemistry
courses to help them understand what they are being taught.  I am the
person in charge of the Histology Lab, the Gross Room and the Morgue.  So,
Yes I know the paths for all three areas.  Unfortunately, the ASCP and NSH
are aware and still when there is a meeting for CLMA , ASCP or other areas
of the laboratory you will be lucky to find a lecture on anything to do
with Histology whether local or national.  No funds are available for
anyone to go to a meeting or travel.  IF NSH is not local most people
can't get there.  So exactly where are we to get education CEUs if no one
will pay for them and we are at the lowest end of the pay scale and
can't?  Most of the Histologist here are unable to travel more than 10 to
50 miles for a meeting even in the state.

We are at a University and have been told point blank no education money
(time off only), no classes unless they are free and oh by the way be sure
the new ones get their CEUs to keep their registries.  We have also been
told anyone without a BS will be paid like a LST and the HT does not
qualify them for a raise or higher pay.  I have friends at other major
institutes who are being told the same thing.  We ask in the early 90's
for the education levels to be raised by NSH and still took years to
happen.  I have been in Histology for over 40 years and still love the
field, just hate the way we are treated in comparison to the CP area.  Try
hiring someone under the new guidelines for grossing without a PA license
and see what you get.  It is just as hard and just a few schools for that
field too.   When you get the PA license try getting the pay outside a
major metropolitan area.

Pam Marcum

Still my opinion