[Histonet] ASCP Route 2 HT Certification

Lee & Peggy Wenk lpwenk <@t> sbcglobal.net
Fri May 6 14:19:15 CDT 2011

I'll try to explain what I know, based on working with my students in my
NAACLS HT and HTL programs. So I do NOT speak for ASCP BOC (Board of
Certification). Don't say "Well, Peggy said so." Doesn't help with my
students and ASCP, so won't help with anyone else. (HISTONETTERS: If not
interested in ASCP BOC, click DELETE now.)

Answers to your Questions:
1. APPLICATION FEE: According to step #3 in the on-line procedure
http://www.ascp.org/FunctionalNavigation/certification/GetCertified.aspx

And on page 3 of the handbook
http://www.ascp.org/pdf/BOR-PDFs/procedures/Examination-Procedures.aspx

And on the PDF application form:
http://www.ascp.org/pdf/BOR-PDFs/procedures/General-application-form.aspx

The application free is non-refundable.  (I'll explain why at the bottom of
this, if you are interested.)

2. BIO/CHEM COURSES: ASCP will look for BIO or CHEM to see if an applicant
took the right courses. But they will also look at the TITLE of the course,
knowing there are other majors. Example: MLS = medical laboratory science.
AH = Allied health. RT = radiation therapy. And so on - all of which have
biology and chemistry courses that would be acceptable.

3. IDENTICAL COURSES: I don't know how "close" the courses have to be,
before ASCP BOC won't count them. I would say, if you took a class at
college A, then transferred to college B, and college B used that class from
college A to say it was the same as one of their (college B) course, so you
didn't have to take or pay for the college B course, then I would say that
this one course was equal to only 1 course. even though it showed up as two
different courses (after all, only one course was attended, exam taken, paid
for, etc.). If you took one course at A and one course at B, and both show
up as separate courses, then my feeling is that they are two different
courses.

(A little off to the side, the requirements for HT are 12 semester hours of
biology and chemistry combined. That's 1 bio and 2 chem courses (4 credits
each), or 2 bio and 1 chem course (4 credits each). NOT 12 credits of bio
AND 12 credits of chem. That seems to be a common mistake.)

5. GRADE: I see nothing in the ASCP BOC HT requirements of a minimum grade
point.

4. CHECKING BEFORE APPLYING: Now, as to whether there is any way to check
before applying and sending in the fee - not really.

I appreciate that you are trying to find out if you qualify, before you send
in the application, fees and transcript. So the following is not directed
towards you, personally. You had some good questions, like, do grades count
(since the website doesn't say anything about it).

The following is about why, in general, ASCP can't answer individual
questions of applicants.

Realize that thousands of people apply to the ASCP BOC for all the
disciplines, each year. (In 2010, over 12,500 people took the various
certification exams.) It is up to the applicant to decide, based on the
criteria on-line and in the booklet and application form, if they meet all
the criteria to take the exam. ASCP will NOT issue a decision over the phone
or by email, before the person applies. If there is a little confusion (such
as the 12 credit hours of bio/chem and what does that mean?), they will
explain. But they will NOT talk about each person's transcript, work
experience, etc. over the phone. They don't have the time. And until they
see the transcript, they only have the person's word over the phone as to
what the transcript says. And then there is the "but ASCP said over the
phone", when maybe they did or didn't say, or there was a misunderstanding
on one or both sides. How do you prove what was verbally said?

I run a NAACLS HT and HTL program, hospital based, I get lots of people
calling up, wanting to know if they qualify. Yet my webpage states very
clearly what the criteria is (degree, required courses, GPA, etc.), but lots
of people call up, wanting "exceptions". I will not talk about whether their
classes meet the criteria or not. If they want this type of information,
then they have to submit the application material, pay our programs' $40
application fee, and then I will look over their transcript(s) and will be
willing to talk with them afterwards. Most of the time, the people who are
calling know that do NOT meet the criteria, but want me spend 30 minutes or
more on the phone with them, trying to talk me into reducing my requirements
(not needing a degree, only having half the required courses, not having a
3.0 GPA, etc.). They already know they don't meet the criteria. But they
want an exception. By my telling them that they have to submit all the
required documentation first, with the application fee, before I will decide
if they qualify or not, I have reduced the non-qualified people from
applying. In the past, over half the applicants who applied to my programs
were not qualified. But I would have to take the time to talk with them on
the phone, look through and analyze their applications/transcripts, and then
write letters of rejection. All of which takes a lot of my time. Once I
instituted the non-refundable $40 application fee, and not talking about
transcripts over the phone, the number of non-qualified who applied fell
significantly. From over 50% to about 10%.

With that said, I will talk with someone when they don't understand a
requirement on our webpage (e.g., what is a "higher level" biology course?),
and I will direct people to the webpage if they haven't been there first.
Once they've been to the webpage, if they have more questions, I'll try to
answer them (as long as it isn't about their transcript). If someone is
really fishing for what they can do with their degree, I will be glad to
talk with them about what a histotech is, the advantages/disadvantages of
being a histotech, or going through my program, etc. If they are still
interested, then it is up to them to go to the webpage, and to figure out if
they qualify for the program. I've never kept track, but I still probably
talk with about 10 times the number of people, compared with how many people
actually apply to my program. But I don't spend 30 minutes with each
anymore. I direct them to the criteria on the website, then talk with the
ones who call me back. And if they don't want to take the time to read the
criteria on my website, well, why would I want them as a student or a
histotech?

That's my program, with about 15-25 applicants, and 200+ phone calls per
year. Now, imagine ASCP BOC and their volume. In 2010, over 12,500 people
took the various certification exams. Can you imagine how many people try
calling, to find out if ASCP will make an exception? Or will analyze their
transcript over the phone? How many people call who will NOT take the exams?
Can you see why ASCP BOC can't help all the people calling, trying to decide
if they qualify or not? The sheer numbers are overwhelming!

So, ASCP BOC is NOT trying to be "unhelpful". They will help to clear up a
requirement. But they cannot individually talk with every person about their
specific transcript or specific qualification question. There are just too
many people wanting exceptions, or who don't want to take the time to read
the requirements, or need their hand held during the process. There are just
too many people calling every day. Therefore, they handle it by saying -
read the criteria, apply, and submit the non-refundable application fee,
thus having the applicant be responsible for deciding up front that they
meet the criteria.

Unfortunately, because of this, when someone is trying to understand one
little area, and needs some help, they get caught in the "12,500+" applicant
numbers, and maybe end up not getting the help they need.

So, Eric, my suggestion: really read the requirements, really look at your
transcripts, really look at your experience (since you are going through
Route 2).  And email Histonet again, with some more of your questions.

Peggy A. Wenk, HTL(ASCP)SLS
Schools of Histotechnology
William Beaumont Hospital
Royal Oak, MI 48073